Saturday, April 5, 2008

Kitchen Adventures: Daily Dalliances with Nivette

Smooth. Satiny. Delectable.

Those are the words that describe my first venture into the world of fondant. What some people would consider their worst baking nightmare turned out, for me at least, to be something quite easy and worth a little effort. After I got over the fear of my hands being superglued together by the great abominable snowman of melted marshmallows, it was kind of fun. And nothing feels quite as good as the accomplishment of making this:



I don't think I have ever been so delighted with the end product of cake baking than this. A quick rundown of the process goes like this...

  1. Melt bag of marshmallows.

  2. Add 3/4 of a bag of powdered sugar to the top of that bowl of marshmallows.

  3. Dump said bowl on a shortening-greased counter....watch as the worst mess you've ever seen begins to spread out onto your counter...

  4. You also grease your hands with shortening...don't even think about doing this with a baby by yourself at home. There's no way you'd be able to clean yourself off fast enough to help them.

  5. Knead said sugar into marshmallows. This is where that abominable snowman of melted marshmallows comes in. Seriously thought I would never have clean, or free to move around, hands again. Add rest of sugar and grease stuff again as needed, in case things start to stick. Like you could possibly avoid it.

  6. Eventually.....like 10 minutes later eventually, you'll have a nice ball of fondant. You can store it in the fridge for a week or more until you need it.

  7. To use, cornstarch your counter and rolling pin and roll out to about 1/8" thickness and yada, you get the rest. You will never see a cake look that good again!

This was seriously so gratifying....I guess I like foodstuffs too much for those who don't quite understand my enthusiasm. This is all in practice for Ellerie's magnificent birthday cake, which I know now will be just that. Magnificent. Smooth. Satiny. Delectable. All the things a one year old's birthday cake should be.


That's right. Drool over it. Can you do it better? :)

6 comments:

T said...

I can testify of the satiny perfection of Mistress's fondant. I was also baby patrol during this creative pursuit. Do not attempt this feat alone with a baby. Wait for a relative to visit.

Andrea said...

Holy Stinkin' Cow! That's amazing! I've always wondered how they make fondant! Does it taste as good as regular frosting? It looks so pretty! We'll see if I have the nerve to try it someday! I'm in awe!

L said...

that is lovely. Now you can enter the world of REAL cake making. All crazy theme cakes seem to require fondant. Way to go!

Kelsey said...

I don't even like marshmallows and that looks good.

Now, if I could just figure out what fondant is . . . ?

Deidre said...

Um the fondant is interesting but is she seriously a year old?!

Anna said...

Wow! That is so inspiring! It is beautiful!!! You make is sound and look so doable.

A friend of a friend (who went to cooking school) does fondant a lot and is quite creative. If you need inspiration, check out:
http://jylandyrobinson.blogspot.com/