Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Craft Fair That Was (Kind Of...)



A view from the front of my side of the booth



A view of the back area of my side

A view looking from the back of my side
Well, I took part in the 2nd Annual Athens Indie Craftstravaganzaa today. It was basically an 8:30 am through 7:45 pm kind of day. Kind of warm and muggy overall, but we had the nice shade of a corner spot and an overhead canopy, so it wasn't anything we couldn't handle. Apparently, the foot traffic and willingness of people to purchase things wasn't as well as previously expected. I went around collecting business cards and general opinions of the day towards the end of the time, and everyone for the most part didn't think it was the best show they'd ever done. The holiday show that the same people put on in December is supposed to be much better.
The reason I went around to see how everyone else had done was because I only sold a total of TWO items. A grand total of $22.00...so I made back my half of the application fee, effectively breaking even, but still... It was kind of disappointing, you know? A lot of people came by and said, "Oh how cute," or "Aren't these precious?" You know the normal stuff. But no one really bought anything. If I had a dollar for every time someone touched my stuff or said it was cute, I would have made almost $100 instead. Several people did take business cards, though, two of them expressly saying they would send particular people who are expecting babies my way. We'll see if anything actually materializes. I'm working on figuring out the best way to have people order directly from my website through PayPal. It really doesn't cost much, just a 2.9% + $0.30 for each purchase, not bad. Hopefully somebody will pull through and buy something :)
It was a long day and kind of sad to be away from Ellerie that long. She did pretty well, though, from what Matt said. Good for the Tut :) My booth partner and I are going to investigate the J & J Flea Market here in the area to see if that might be a good venue to sell our wares. It's a lot cheaper than the show we just did and you don't have to apply for most of the spaces, you just show up. We'll see.
Anyways, I'm really tired and need to pull laundry from the washer to dry. The work never ends, and even though I didn't really sell much, I sure have a lot of built up inventory, right? :)

4 comments:

Southern Belle said...

You did great. Brian and I were chatting on the way home and we should have turned our booth when that other booth wasn't there. Then we wouldn't have been so secluded. I am so in for a Flea Market. I am going to take the original signs, but cross out the price and so it is a mind game. I remember that from my marketing minor.

Andrea said...

I'm sorry it didn't go better. Good luck with the other avenues of selling!

T said...

At least you know that every vendor there had a similar experience and there was nothing faulty with your merchandise.

T said...

BTW- I love the way your booth looked! I think you will sell more the next go around.