Monday, May 25, 2009

The Mistress vs. The Master

So let's forget for this moment that pride is a bad thing...in certain instances I would like to believe that it's just okay to have a little bit of it :)

This is the aforementioned instance. We went walking up to the local high school's track this morning - me, Matt, Ellerie, Bennett, Ruly & Mimi. Probably a funny show to watch in and of itself. Anyways, Matt did his jogging....which I can't do, by the way, it seriously just hurts...while Ruly did his power walking and Mimi graciously watched Ellerie and Bennett since the high school seems to think stroller wheels will damage the surface...yeah. I walked at a fairly normal pace, all the while taking ribbing from everyone and hearing the continuous, "Pick up the pace!"

I eventually challenged Matt to a race. We have known each other since high school and this went down a lot back then, too. I won every single race back then, when I was faster, so I could only hope for whatever might happen to be close to that these days. We decided on 50 yards, since I'm barely in recognizable shape, and I didn't want to severly injure myself.

We had Dad start us and watch the finish line just in case it was, you know, a close call. Well, guess what people? I ran, felt the wind on my face, it felt good...and I picked up the pace and won. That's right, I beat my husband, who has 10 inches on me, by the way!, in a foot race. Still. I still can do it! Don't worry, I have full permission to give this account, as long as I gave the disclosure that Matt would certainly beat me in a race any longer than 50 yards, as I SUCK at long distance. Suck would imply that I could actually run long distance, though...

Anyways, I am still the fastest side of our partnership and told Matt, "Aren't you happy to know that I could get away if the situation depended on it?" He just smiled and said "Yeah." So here's a challenge to any of my readers out there - are you faster than your husband? I think it would be highly fun to find out. And at least a good work out no matter what the outcome.

Ahh....there are some times in life where a little bit of pride goes a long way ;)

5 comments:

Southern Belle said...

Nope... he would beat me in a short distance, but if it were longer, I would have him beat. We know this because when we go walking he doesn't like that I can keep my pace up for the whole time.

AmBurg said...

Don't women tend to be stronger in their legs anyway? And men in their arms? Anyway, DH would beat me as he's a runner. I accept this fact. But he can't whistle and I can, haha!

Molly said...

I have Shawn hands down - no competition - short or long. When we go walking he complains at how "fast" I am walking, and I am always pushing the double stroller (that's at least 50 lbs.) :)

Jessi said...

That is too dang funny!

Say it with a Sign! said...

No way, Steve would beat me hands down, quicker than anything. You do remember how much shorter I am.