Monday, August 3, 2009

"A" is for Abingdon...

So after receiving the final "official" offer (and by offer I mean, we're finally going to survive on our own again!) and having a couple of rather depressing days of apartment searching, we've finally found a place to live in Abingdon, VA. At first everything we found was either kind of icky or if the price was good, it was too small. Even the newer ones in our price range were too small. Then Matt crunched the numbers and told me what our {actual} budget was....I love you honey ;)

We had been givent the name of a contact and place to look at some townhomes and it turns out, that is exactly what we were looking for. We'll have a nice 2 bedroom/2.5 {gasp} bath townhome with nice and easy hardwood floors downstairs and forgiving berber carpet upstairs. This means I can leave the kiddie stuff in their bathroom and it can stay there. Horray! We have a nice little deck out back and since we're on a corner unit, there's a nice sized grassy area that Ellerie can (and I'm sure she will!) run around in. Bennett, too....geez, let's not think too far ahead. It's nice and bright and has a bay window in the den...I've always wanted one of those :) Can't paint, but oh well, I guess for all the good, I can handle a little less color in my life...lol.

A huge plus for Matt was the carport. Although I'm not sure who will get to park their car there more often...I have the argument of the kids ;) But it will certainly be helpful when rain comes, which will happen a lot more often than it did in Athens, GA. Here are some pictures of a unit that's for sale in the complex. Ours has the different bay window and a few slight differences, but you get the idea :)



Ours is also oriented on the opposite side for everything. I promise {promise} to take actual pictures once we have everything moved in. Now don't groan and think you have to wait and sit tight with anticipation for weeks and weeks...I am an OCD unpacker...has to happen soon or I go crazy. We're also taken a much-needed family vacation to SC/the beach just three days after we move in. Therefore, we must be unpacked well enough to be able to pack...lol oh the irony. Which reminds me of that slightly odd movie I saw on TV with Helen Mirren and Katie Holmes where she chided her on the correct usage of the word "irony"....which makes me wonder if I'm always using it correctly...oh well.

Both kids are sleeping peacefully, I've decluttered the computer desk somewhat (since we're taking it with us) and I finished two sewing projects...one of which is a delicious concoction for a special niece who just turned 1. We missed her party, but that doesn't mean I can't still let my imagination run off, right? It ran off and figured out {with much sighing and frustration} something really adorable...don't know if I'll replicate it for my Etsy shop, but something close to the original might work nicely (and take less time!). Too bad you will have to wait for pictures on that one..I don't want any surprises to be spoiled :)

Did I mention I'm going to try and get into the whole farmers market thing in Abingdon? They have one that won't be that far away so I'm going to try to get all of our fresh food there. Even some meats are available, although those will have to be priced pretty decently to win my eye. I'm still too cheap to allow "grass fed, organic, etc." to have higher precidence than my pocketbook.

Needless to say, we are all very excited to be getting all of this going. I think my family is probably ready to kick us out and have a rave to celebrate that we're gone (that might just be my younger brothers...), but I hope Ellerie takes it all in stride. She seemed to like running and jumping around in "mommy and daddy's new house, Ellerie coming, too"...lol. She is quite the little precocious princess lately. Love her and want to tear my hair out sometimes at her at the same time. I'm sure everyone with children knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about ;) Bennett is eating cereal now around once a day (I'm trying to remember to feed it to him!) and he's a regular big roller...rolling around all over the place. He doesn't really like to sit still for long and we think he's teething...heaven help me. But he's such a happy little cooer (if that's a word) and I love to just smother him in kisses.

I guess I've rambled on enough now. Lots of stuff to pack up in the next few days. I'm so glad Abingdon is only 45-50 minutes away...

5 comments:

Grandma and Pop said...

I hope all goes well with the move. Can't wait to see y'all next week.

Andrea said...

Yay! That sounds like a great place!! I hope all goes smoothly with the move!

I was going to say the car port would be fantastic for snow, but then I remembered you probably don't get snow! :)

"L" said...

It looks very nice!!! Yay on so many levels :)

Deidre said...

You are a good Mom. I've fed William rice cereal like three times and I'm too lazy (I forget) to really get into a cereal routine. At 5+ months I'm sure the kid is ready for something more substantial!

Kim said...

Cute blog! I stumbled on here from facebook! :) What an adorable family you have!