Saturday, October 24, 2009

I | LOVE | CONSIGNMENT SALES




So, I thought I was going to miss out by moving away from Athens, GA, as far as consignment sales were concerned. I have picked up a bunch of really great items for Ellerie and Bennett at these events before, and I have frequently been bemoaning their lack of warm winter clothing. We're definitely in a colder climate than GA now, so it's really a nescessity, albeit one that I didn't want to pay full price for. So needless to say, I was very excited when I found out about this consignment sale that took place yesterday and today. Yesterday was full price and today was, too, but during the last 3 hours of the sale, almost everything is marked 1/2 off.

I got a bunch of stuff yesterday and decided I would go back today to see if there were any last minute things I could pick up for really cheap. There had been a slide that Ellerie just about died for, one of those indoor/outdoor Fisher Price ones, that we were hoping would still be there for the 1/2 off sale. Alas, it was not...but I told her we'd find another one...eventually {with a sheepish "probably not" going through my mind}. Anyways, I found several more things today that were all half off and overall, I am thrilled with my purchases. I got there right at 9 AM yesterday and I was the second person in line for the 1/2 off sale today. With these things, it really pays to be on the ball about your timing. Below is the tally of what we got (which you'll see in the pictures above):

For Bennett: 4 sleepers, 10 long-sleeved shirts, 1 hoodie, 1 v-neck sweater vest, 3 pairs of pants, 1 sweater, 1 mitten/hat set, and one Halloween onesie (I couldn't resist!)

For Ellerie: 4 sleepers, 1 pajama top w/ 2 matching bottoms, 9 long-sleeved shirts, 1 church sweater, 5 pairs of pants, 1 hoodie, and 1 pair of lamb slippers (so CUTE!)

Now, mind you, since I was in there pretty early on, most of these items are brands like Old Navy, Baby Gap, Gymboree, Children's Place, etc. I got 47 items total and the average price per item was......{{GASP}}........

$1.73

HA! Take that you department stores/overpriced boutiques/etc. I know how to get great deals. If only I could get clothing that cheaply for myself ;) Either way, these are all super-nice pieces that are all so adorable I could just melt. Most of the shirts I got Bennett are those cute button-up types that work for church or regular wear. He has so many short-sleeved onesies that he has yet to fit into that will be perfect for layering under these more roomy shirts. Elleries' stuff is all delightful, too. I didn't find much for her yesterday and felt bad that Bennett made out like a bandit...but luckily I found more stuff {that I somehow missed??} today, plus, it was all cheaper. I can't believe my baby is already wearing 2T/3T...ahh, I'm starting to feel old. Correction....I'm continuing to feel my age. When did time start to fly by so quickly?

I also made the plunge and have ordered a double jogging stroller...not that I jog...but for those 12 miles a week I walk on unpaved terrain, it really is becoming a drag to use the little umbrella stroller. There's no way I'll sell my beloved single jogging stroller, it will just get used in different venues :) We're hoping it will arrive by Halloween, especially since it's already been shipped out. There was one at the consignment sale, but it didn't have a front swivel wheel, and besides that, it didn't fit in the car. Oh well. At least I know this one has nothing wrong with it at all. Well, Ellerie demands my attention...what's new? More to come soon!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Deidre said...

Yeah, where do I find one of these consignment sales? And keeping that single jogger is good. We still use both our regular stroller and our double. You can always get rid of it later.

Grandma and Pop said...

Wow Nivette! You did good!

Jennifer Sharpe said...

I love consignment sales too! I only buy clearance items for the girls I hate paying over $5 for anything especially since they are growing so fast. I feel like everything was cheaper in Athens than Augusta, but that could be because of the economy I guess. Anywho, good job getting such a great deal!