Tuesday, November 30, 2010

it's the most wonderful time of the year

Or at least it will be in just a few hours...:)  It's been awhile since I last wrote, but with the holidays in full swing, things have been kind of crazy.  I don't have any pictures to upload just yet, but those will come soon enough.  I have been doing lots of sewing/crafting in the last few weeks.  I finally finished my advent calendar...you know, the one I wanted to have ready for LAST Christmas....yeah.  Better late than never!  At least it's done.  I also switched up the walls in our den so I can have a seasonal decor wall, to change as I want with the holidays.  I had some really cute Thanksgiving stuff in frames, but I never got pictures.  I can just add the files so you can at least see what I framed:




They looked pretty nice on the wall.  I have since put up even cuter Christmas pictures, the tree, nativity, etc.  I promise to add pictures of those, too.

Our plan to spend both major holidays this winter at home started off well.  I did lots of baking the day before Thanksgiving and then only had minimal things to prepare on the actual day.  It was a nice, unhurried (we ate at 4:45ish) meal that was quiet and relaxed.  It would have been nice to see family, but I'm glad I didn't have to stress about all the stuff that goes along with large crowds of people.  The kids didn't eat at least half the stuff, but that's okay...more for me and Matt.  I did make the best turkey I have ever made.  Seriously.  It was actually juicy.  A juicy turkey.  And my Jamie Oliver stuffing, stuffed up under the skin...to die for.

I ventured out Black Friday morning, but at the fairly late hour of 6:30 AM, and found Walmart to be doable. I wasn't really going for the amazing deals, I just needed to shop without the kids.  There are certain gifts you just can't hide in mounds of groceries, you know?  All of the presents in our house have been dealt with and I am glad.  We tried to keep things toned down this year.  It is amazing (and flabbergasting, to be honest) the amount of money people throw out for Christmas.  Simply amazing.  Especially when you have young kids who probably won't remember this Christmas.  I know I'm kind of on a soap box here, and to each their own Christmas preferences, but geez.  People who drop thousands of dollars on a Christmas and then have the audacity to complain about financial woes throughout the remainder of the year seriously need to reevaluate their priorities.  What's the reason for celebrating Christmas, anyways?  Just something to think about...please don't take this personally if you like to seriously deck the halls for the holidays.  It's just how I feel and that's all there is to it.

It might actually snow tomorrow..we had one snowfall already, although it didn't stick and lasted about an hour.  It's finally starting to cool down, although we've enjoyed the much-warmer-than-last-year temperatures.  It's going to be in the 30s and 40s for the next 10 days, so maybe we'll have a "real" December after all.  Maybe even a white Christmas...I don't think I've ever had a Christmas, anywhere, where it actually snowed ON Christmas Day.  We'll see about that.

Well, although I'm in a typing mood and I could go on and on about all the little things bugging me as of late, it's getting late and I have a husband who is, I'm sure, staring daggers into my back in the hopes that I will abandon this effort and go to bed already. The woes of having the home computer in one's bedroom...one day we'll have a house with its' own computer room.  I swear.

One last thing...I ordered my Christmas card pictures last week and they should already be here by now.  Doesn't Snapfish know I have a schedule to keep up with?  I have never had issues with them before, why now, when it seriously matters?  Tracking doesn't even show my package as existing...way to make a girl feel special.  That's all.

No comments: